Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Female Chauvinist Pigs: Women and the Rise of Raunch Culture

Just thought I would share. It was a fascinating book and I'm sure it would provoke a great discussion but I feel like I can't recommend it for April because of some strong language in some of the quotes and a couple chapters that I didn't make it through. I would however love to discuss it with anyone else who has read it!

I loved the first chapter about the rise of raunch culture and the decline of the women's liberation movement. Women have become equal opportunity chauvinists. It's as if someone said we couldn't be seen as equals of men so we decided to become "one of the guys." Women can objectify other women just as well as other men. Women wear accessoires emblazoned with playboy bunny logo. Porn stars like Jenna Jameson and Paris Hilton are idolized. Girls Gone Wild has become an empire built on women desperate for attention. These are not the self confident, powerful free individuals that the women's liberation movement fought for. It's an important topic for women to address and I feel like it is especially important because I am raising two daughters. The pervading raunch culture is not what I want for them...

No comments:

Post a Comment